NPS – Omaha houses the National Park Service’s Midwest Regional Headquarters and serves as a visitor center for the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail. Established in 1916, the National Park Service, an agency within the Department of Interior, serves as the steward of public natural and cultural resources of national significance. The NPS has responsibility for 411 park units (e.g., national parks, monuments and battlefields). Its mission is the preservation of these resources for the enjoyment, education and inspiration of this and future generations.
NPS – Omaha, a built-to-suit property completed in 2004, is leased to the General Services Administration on behalf of the National Park Service for an initial 20-year lease. When first constructed, the building was heralded as the first LEED Gold building in Nebraska, and the 44th in the United States. Over 60 parks and program areas, spread across 13 states, are supported by this energy efficient and technologically advanced property.